|Location||San Jose, CA|
|Date Posted||September 26, 2019|
GAF Energy is transforming the rooftop solar industry to generate Energy From Every Roof TM. As a Standard Industries company, GAF Energy works in partnership with North America’s largest roofing and waterproofing manufacturer, GAF, offering affordable, integrated and aesthetic rooftop solar options to residential and commercial customers. For more information about GAF Energy, visit www.gaf.energy.
What part will you play?
- GAF Energy’s Solar R&D team is seeking a Solar Development Engineer, who will work on designing and building the next generation of building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) technologies, to harvest energy from every rooftop and deliver ultimate customer satisfaction
- This exciting role will report to the Director of Solar R&D, and work within a cross-functional team to develop technology platforms and solar products that integrate seamlessly into roofs and deliver exceptional energy production at a competitive cost
- The ideal candidate must have a passion for thinking out of the box, delivering innovative ideas and thrive in a start-up-like fast-paced environment. This person will be part of the team that is responsible for conception, testing, developing and delivering in high-volume, photovoltaic solar technology solutions that transform today’s roofs. The role will focus on creative problem solving and collaborative work necessary to build prototypes and take them from laboratory scale to pilot line
What will you be doing?
- Envisioning, designing and developing prototype BIPV products that will be put on rooftops across the country through hands-on laboratory work.
- Rigorously testing all products to ensure they meet performance and reliability standards both in the laboratory and in the field
- Collecting and analyzing data to continuously improve product cost and efficiency and provide recommendations to the GAF Energy team
- Conceptualizing new metrology, testing methods and experiment set up to test new concepts
- Collaborating in a cross-function setting with all members of the GAF Energy team, including R&D, product management, operations and sales to plan, develop and deliver new solar products
- Regularly communicating with and presenting concepts and results to GAF Energy stakeholders
What do we require from you?
- BS in a technical field (Engineering, Material Science, Physics, etc)
- 3 years+ of work experience in a laboratory setting or equivalent
- Preferred candidate has experience with C++/ Python/ Matlab/ Labview or similar
- Preferred candidate has hands-on experience with soldering or roofing, and is familiar with a range of power tools and electrical testing equipment
- Energetic and forward thinking
- Ability to balance and prioritize competing interests
- Hands-on problem solver with strong critical thinking ability and exceptional analytical skills
- Resiliency and ability to adapt to dynamic changing environments and priorities
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external functional teams verbally, in writing, and via presentations
- Willing and able to travel within USA and Global up to 20% of your work time