|Location||New Brunswick, NJ|
|Date Posted||September 17, 2019|
Centrica / Direct Energy is one of North America's largest retail providers of electricity, natural gas, and home and business energy-related services with over four million individual customers and 240,000 large energy customers in states with deregulated energy markets . We give customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. As an international energy and services company, Centrica / Direct Energy, its subsidiaries and/or affiliates, operate in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and eight provinces in Canada. Centrica plc (LSE:CNA) is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to becoming the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society. Centrica's international Business Solutions group has been established to deliver distributed energy platforms to large energy users as part of a more flexible energy landscape. We expect to invest 700 million (~$1 billion) into the Business Solutions group by 2020. Combined, our UK and US businesses already have over 1,000 customers across 3,700 sites and 6 countries.
Centrica Business Solutions (CBS) is a global business unit within Centrica, set with the mission to help customers discover and unlock value via the energy-consuming and existing or new energy-producing assets on their sites. In North America, we design build and manage projects from small to large scale in the distributed energy spectrum. We have existing and forthcoming solutions for which we provide development, engineering, and construction services to deliver products and projects across North America for commercial, industrial, and institutional customers wishing to reduce energy consumption and/or generate energy.
Centrica Business Solutions is seeking a highly motivated Senior Solar Engineer to join the Engineering team of the Commercial and Industrial Solar group. The Senior Engineer is responsible for the design of commercial, industrial, and utility scale solar systems. We are looking for an individual who can manage the day to day tasks as well as support the expansion of the group's capabilities as the company grows. The Senior Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the system designs meet our customers' needs in the most cost-effective way through a thorough understanding of equipment available on the market and a deep understanding of system design principles. The Senior Engineer will help set design and Engineering standards and will work with a team of engineers taking solar project designs from preliminary analysis through full construction drawings as well as supporting permitting, construction, and project close-out processes. This position calls for the ability to coach and mentor team members, to communicate superbly, and the ability to streamline the design process to ensure engineering resources are optimized while delivering high quality system designs. This role can be based at a Centrica office in Hanover, MD, or Iselin, NJ or it can be a remote (home-based) role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct or oversee site surveys to qualify complex sites for suitability for PV System deployment.
- Evaluate site conditions to identify electrical/PV system design and interconnection options.
- Responsible for all aspects of commercial and industrial PV system Engineering, including equipment selection, site design, and detailed electrical specifications.
- Review detailed bills of materials and coordinate ordering of critical components.
- Assist Operations team with field specific issues
- Review and provide feedback on preliminary system designs and production estimates prepared by junior engineers.
- Guide the development of complex designs including tracker systems, energy storage, and other advanced solutions.
- Manage 3rd party engineering firms as they complete permit and construction drawings. Review drawing sets for quality and conformance to Centrica standards
- Coordinate with utility companies to solve interconnection problems
- Maintain knowledge of data monitoring systems including setup of new sites and basic troubleshooting
- Support the development and maintenance of the Solar Engineering standards and design processes, and train junior staff on implementation.
- Provide technical training and support to Sales Team and Project Managers
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure adequate and current technical training on detailed engineering requirements is maintained
- BS Degree in Engineering
- 6+ years related work experience with Commercial and Industrial PV projects
- Excellent technical writing skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively on a team
- Self-motivated, eager to learn, and able to work independently
- Able to manage concurrent schedules, and competing priorities
- Knowledge of Electrical Code, PV-related sections.
- Experience with medium voltage system design highly desirable
- Experience with system modeling and production estimation software highly desirable
- Knowledge of OSHA Construction Safety Standards a plus.