|Location||San Diego, CA|
|Date Posted||May 20, 2019|
Local Unit & Position Description
The Civil/Geotechnical Engineer will act as a key member of the global civil engineering team engaged in analysis, design review, construction observation, and analysis of structural failures of wind and solar energy systems. The engineer in this position will have a highly visible role and be involved in several wind and solar energy projects worldwide and have a key role in setting geotechnical standards of practice in the renewable energy industry.
Tasks May Include
- Review of design drawings and calculations for Wind and Solar Energy foundations support systems, to support project financing
- Development of geotechnical engineering analysis tools for soil-structure interaction, settlement, bearing capacity and other geotechnical aspects of foundation design analyses
- Evaluation of pre-market design concepts for Wind and Solar Energy support systems
- Evaluation and root cause analyses of Wind and Solar Energy geotechnical failures
- Observation and documentation of Wind and Solar Energy construction
- M.Sc. in Geotechnical Engineering required
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering preferred
- EI/EIT License required
- P.E. or P.Eng. License a plus
- Geotechnical Engineering (G.E.) license preferred
- At least 2 years of geotechnical engineering design experience required
- 2 years of design of electrical transmission, wind or solar energy structural systems a plus
- Proficiency in IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, ACI, NBCC, EuroCode and other common structural design codes
- Proficiency in MathCad, LPile, slope stability, and other common structural analysis programs
- Proficiency in Plaxis, FLAC, or other geotechnical finite element analyses
- Understanding of foundation systems for utility scale onshore wind turbines
- Prior research or design experience with reinforced concrete wind turbine foundations preferred
- Understanding of common Solar PV foundation systems and geotechnical aspects of design
- Prior research or design experience with Solar PV structural support systems preferred
- Understanding of typical construction methods for Wind and Solar Energy
- Proven HSE mindset and demonstrated behavior-based safety mentality
- Able to work independently, and make independent decisions when called for.
- Able to work with a geographically diverse team, within North America and internationally.
- Maintain a flexible schedule and be able to keep in contact with international offices
- Willing and able to travel 25%, both domestic and international
- Must be able to use common construction personal protective equipment, walk over uneven terrain, climb ladders
- Strong written and oral English language skills
- Fluency in a second langauge (Spanish) preferred
- We conduct pre-employment background and drug screening
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.